Lauki or Bottle Gourd is a vegetable, which is used by people to prepare dish during fast. There are many recipes, which can be prepared by Lauki like lauki ki kheer, lauki ki burfi, lauki ki sabzi, lauki kofte and Lauki ka Halwa. Lauki ka Halwa (Bottle Gourd Halwa) is a traditional desert and popular recipe for fast, also known as Doodhi ka halwa in Marathi. There are many methods to prepare lauki ka halwa. We are describing one of the methods which is easy and take few minutes (around 30 minutes) to prepare.
Bottle Gourd 500 gm (Lauki/Ghia/Doodhi)
Sugar 100 gm
2 Cup Milk
1 Cup Khoya
5 tbsp Ghee
2 tsp Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder
1 tsp Cashews (Kaaju)
1 tsp Raisins (Kismis)
1 tsp Almond (chopped finely)
2-3 Drops Kewra Essence
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a Pan and fry chopped almonds and cashews until they turn light brown. Remove from the pan and keep it aside.
- Peel the bottle gourd and wash with clean water.
- Grate lauki in a vessel finely. Remove the seeds if there is, while grating.
- Drain the juice of the grated bottle gourd (lauki) from the vessel.
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee in a kadhai or deep pan (non-stick) and add grated bottle gourd. Sauté it over medium heat until it turns golden color. Continuously keep stirring.
- Add milk and sugar in it and keep stirring on low flame around 10 minutes.
- Grate the khoya also in it, mix well and continuously stir until it becomes thick.
- Add remaining ghee, cardamom powder, raisins, fried cashews and almonds in this mixture.
- Add drops of kewra essence and do keep on stirring for some minutes.
- Now lauki ka halwa is ready to serve.