Saboodana Khichadi is one of the delicious recipes prepared during the vrats. There are two types of Sabudana, first one is general size and other one is big size. If you are using big sabudana for preparing khichadi then you have to soak sabudana in water for 5-6 hours while if using small sabudana then soak it for only 1 hour. We will suggest you for big Sabudana as it looks good in serving and taste. Out of India, in Asia’s stores you can get sabudana by the name of ‘Tapioca’. In fact, Saboodana Khichadi is a mouthwatering recipe, considered as an ideal food to eat during Navratri fasts. Read below to know more on how to make Saboodana Khichadi for Navratri vrat.
1 Cup Sabudana/Tapioca/Sago
1 large size potato
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp ghee or oil
2 green chillies (chopped)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
8-10 curry leaves
2 tsp skinless peanuts
1 Pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
1 tomato (chopped finely)
1/2 tsp dry red chilly
2 tsp chopped green Coriander
Rock salt to taste
- Wash Sabudana and Soak them in water for 5-6 hours. After 5-6 hours, drain soaked Sabudana for 1 hour so that extra water is removed and they do not get sticky.
- Roast the peanuts in a pan over low heat. Keep it aside.
- Peel and chop the potato into small cubes.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp ghee/oil in a pan and add chopped potatoes. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp sugar and rock salt according to taste and Fry these potatoes till they turn light brown then drain them in plate and put aside.
- Put rest of the ghee/oil in Pan again and heat it. Add asafoetida, cumin seed and fry for 10-20 seconds then add curry leaves, chopped green chillies, chopped tomato and red chilli. Add 1 tsp water and mixed well for 5-7 minutes.
- Now drain the Sabudana in this mixture and cook it for 10 minutes. Keep stirring it gently after 2-4 minutes until sabudana get little brown.
- Finally, Add roasted peanuts and potatoes in little browned Sabudana and cook it 2-5 minutes. Now Sabudana Khichadi is ready.
- Add chopped green Coriander and sprinkle lemon juice over it and serve.